Healthy Mac and Cheese
A Healthy Mac and Cheese recipe so creamy and cheesy, you'll never guess the sauce is mostly butternut squash! This one is worth trying.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cubed, about 1 pound
- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni (or gluten free macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- parsley chopped, for garnish, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a Dutch oven or stock pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil. Add squash and cook until fork tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and transfer to blender.
Return water to boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add onions and cook until softened and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to blender.
To the blender, add milk, and 1/2 cup water, and puree until completely smooth and creamy. This should yield about 4 cups sauce.
Return sauce to Dutch oven set over low heat. Stir in cheese until melted and season to taste with salt and pepper (I like 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper). Fold in noodles and thin with more milk or water as necessary.