Strawberry Topping for Cheesecake
A quick berry compote that tastes as fresh as can be, 3-ingredient Strawberry Topping is delicious spooned over cheesecake, ice cream, or a buttery biscuit fresh from the oven.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound strawberries washed, hulled and sliced, (about 3 cups whole, see note 1)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small pot over medium heat, combine the strawberries and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low heat and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add vanilla, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Strawberries: Fresh or frozen, whatever looks better at the store. And you can apply this recipe to other berries, too.
- Yield: One recipe makes about 1 cup of topping.
- Make ahead: Strawberry Topping can be made several days ahead and refrigerated until you need it.
- Storage: Refrigerate in a sealed container.
- Freezing: Strawberry topping freezes really well for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Other fruit: Feel free to substitute other berries for the strawberries. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries are all delightful once gently simmered into a sweet sauce.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 88kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 14IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg