Homemade Tartar Sauce is ready in minutes with just 5 ingredients, absolutely delicious, and essential for all the fish fries in your life.
Servings 4 servings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup dill pickles minced (see note 1)
- 3 tablespoons onion minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, pickles, onion, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I like 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper). Cover and chill until serving time.
- Pickles: I love a crunchy dill pickle (Milwaukee's brand petite kosher dill pickles, if you can find them). Substitute sweet gherkins or pickle relish to taste, if you prefer that.
- Lemon juice: Or substitute lime juice, vinegar, olive juice, or more pickle juice.
- Yield: One batch of the recipe makes approximately 1 1/4 cups of tartar sauce.
- Storage: Keep the sauce in the refrigerator until you're ready to eat.
- Leftovers: Store any leftover sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Make ahead: Can definitely be made a day or two before you need it (the flavors will have more time to blend).
- Add-ins: It won't be classic, but it will still be delicious! Try minced fresh herbs like parsley, chives, or dill. Or try capers, chopped olives, sliced scallions, a squirt of mustard, or a dash of hot sauce.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 387mg | Potassium: 33mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg