Ground Chicken Tacos
An easy recipe for the best ground chicken tacos. These are so juicy and perfectly seasoned, and they're ready in about 15 minutes!
Servings 4 servings
For the taco seasoning (see note 1):
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
For the tacos:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (see note 2)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (see note 3)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (see note 4)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tortillas for serving (see note 5)
- Toppings for serving (see note 6)
To make the taco seasoning:
In a small bowl, whisk together chlii powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon), Whisk in cornstarch if desired. (Or, substitute one packet store-bought taco seasoning).
To make the tacos:
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning, garlic, and oregano until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add ground chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through but still slightly pink, about 2 minutes.
Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide filling evenly among tortillas and serve with healthy garnishes such as shredded lettuce, diced tomato and avocado, scallions, and cilantro leaves.
- Taco seasoning: Ingredients for homemade are right in the recipe card in the amount you need. Or, substitute one packet of store-bought.
- Tomato sauce: 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste plus 1/2 cup water may be substituted for the tomato sauce.
- Apple cider vinegar: You can also use white vinegar or red wine vinegar. They both taste good!
- Brown sugar: Just 1 teaspoon, and feel free to leave it out if that sounds weird to you.
- Tortillas: You can fry soft corn tortillas until crispy or buy crunchy ones from the store. Or, use flour tortillas.
- Toppings: Diced avocado or guacamole, scallions, chopped onion and cilantro, diced tomatoes or pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, Hot sauce, corn salsa, sour cream, black olives
- Lettuce wraps: This taco meat is delicious on butter lettuce or romaine leaves.
- Taco salad: Add the cooked meat to a bowl with chopped lettuce, beans, tomatoes, scallions, and a creamy cilantro lime dressing.
- Slow cooker: This recipe is perfect for a DIY taco bar! First, sauté the onions in a skillet on the stove. Add the taco seasoning, garlic, and dried oregano. Add the ground chicken and cook until almost done. Move the meat to the slow cooker and add the sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and tomato sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Freezer: Cool the cooked meat, then transfer it to a freezer-safe bag and press flat to gently squeeze out the air from the bag as it seals. Label and date. To thaw, defrost the meat in the fridge overnight. Then reheat in the skillet with a little extra salsa or tomato sauce, if needed.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 106mg | Potassium: 694mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 830IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg