Brandy Old Fashioned
From Friday fish fries to supper clubs, the Wisconsin drink of choice is a Brandy Old Fashioned. Here's the authentic recipe for the Wisconsin twist on this famous classic cocktail.
Servings 1 cocktail
- 2 orange slices divided, 1 reserved for garnish
- 1 teaspoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 sugar cube
- 4-6 dashes Angostura bitters (see note 2)
- 1 1/2 ounces brandy (3 tablespoons)
- grapefruit soda (Squirt, see note 3)
- 1 maraschino cherry for garnish
In the bottom of a rocks glass, muddle 1 orange slice, cherry juice, sugar cube and bitters.
Fill glass with ice. Pour brandy over ice. Top with soda and garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
- Maraschino cherry juice: Or grenadine.
- Sugar cubes: You can find sugar cubes in the baking aisle at the grocery store. Or, substitute 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar per sugar cube.
- Bitters: Angostura is a popular brand and they last forever in the pantry. Orange bitters work really well in this drink, too.
- Brandy: Good old Korbel Brothers is what you're likely to get in Wisconsin, but you can go fancier, if you want to.
- Grapefruit soda: Squirt is the most common national brand, but grab 50/50 (by Canfield's) if you ever see it!
- Build the drink in the glass: The cocktail is best when crafted one at a time, in the glass you serve it.
- No muddler: Use the handle of a wooden spoon or just stir it all together. Or use a little homemade simple syrup which is already dissolved.
- Old Fashioned Sweet: Instead of the grapefruit soda, top off the drink with your favorite lemon-lime soda (Think 7UP or Sprite).
- Old Fashioned Press: Pour half lemon-lime soda, and half soda water. This makes it less sweet, but still tingly and refreshing.
- Whiskey: To enjoy a version closer to the one "folks from out of town" make, substitute your favorite bourbon or whiskey.
- Classic Wisconsin garnishes: Besides the orange wheel and cherry, this drink can sometimes be garnished with some seriously funky stuff: pickled green beans, olives, pickled mushrooms, and even pickled Brussels sprouts. Then you KNOW you're in Wisconsin!
Serving: 1cocktail | Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 47mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 59IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 10mg