For the ultimate Greek Salad, tone down the raw onion flavor with a simple vinaigrette. Then complete this classic with lots of colorful vegetables and plenty of feta cheese.
For the Greek salad dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 cucumber peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced into 1/4-inch slices (see note 1)
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced (1 cup or 4 ounces, see note 2)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved (see note 3)
- 1 medium green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced (see note 4)
- 3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled or cubed
To make the dressing, in a large bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste (I like ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper).
Add the sliced cucumbers and red onion and marinate at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
To the bowl with the dressing, add tomatoes, green bell pepper, and olives. Toss to combine and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Cucumbers: If you use hothouse, Persian, or other thin-skinned cucumbers, peeling and seeding is optional.
- Red onions: 1 cup of onions may sound like a lot, but you temper the harsh raw flavor after a few minutes of marinade time in the vinaigrette.
- Tomatoes: Substitute chopped tomatoes if you want (you'll want about 12 ounces).
- Bell peppers: Green bell peppers are traditional, but you can use red, yellow, or orange peppers.
- Yield: This recipe serves 4 as a side dish.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you want to meal prep the salad, leave out the feta cheese until the day you are going to eat it.
- Make ahead: The Greek salad dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator. The vegetables can be prepped the day before and stored separately in the refrigerator.
- More mix-ins: Get creative with cubed avocado, a can of chickpeas, your favorite fresh herbs, or even 8 ounces cooked pasta (drained and cooled).
- Make the dressing your own: Try adding a teaspoon of honey, a minced clove of garlic, or a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Calories: 398kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 721mg | Potassium: 483mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1369IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 189mg | Iron: 1mg