Creamy Cucumber Salad
This Creamy Cucumber Salad is a classic German recipe, an all-around summer favorite, and an easy, tasty way to use up your cucumber bumper crop.
Servings 8 servings (1 cup each)
- 4 hothouse cucumbers thinly sliced (see note 1)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced (see note 2)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (see note 3)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
Add cucumbers to a colander set over a medium bowl, salting in layers (I do about 4 layers, 1/4 teaspoon per layer). Let stand for 1 hour. Drain excess liquid and pat cucumbers dry.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Cover and chill while the cucumbers are draining.
In a large bowl, add drained cucumbers and sour cream mixture, tossing until evenly coated. Serve immediately (see notes).
- Cucumbers: If you use thick-skinned cucumbers, you may want to peel them for this salad. To remove any large seeds, cut them in half lengthwise, then scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Slice and salt as direct in the recipe.
- Dill: Or substitute 2 teaspoons dried dill.
- Lemon juice: Or substitute 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
- Yield: This recipe makes 8 cups of cucumber salad (8 servings, 1 cup each).
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator. The dressing will begin to break down and turn watery and the cucumbers will become soggy (but the salad is safe to eat for up to 4 days).
- Make ahead: This dressing is best assembled right before serving (30-60 minutes in advance is okay; store it covered in the refrigerator until serving time).
- Ranch dressing: This creamy dressing here is similar to classic Ranch, so grab a bottle if you're looking for a shortcut.
- More mix-ins: Stir in minced fresh parsley or chives if you have more herbs on hand.
Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg