How to Blanch Green Beans
Learn how to blanch green beans so they are deliciously tender-crisp every single time. Then you can sauté them for dinner, add them to salads, or just snack on them throughout the day.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 pound green beans washed and trimmed (see note 1)
If using a smaller pot, you may have to blanch the green beans in batches. Set out a large bowl of ice water before blanching the beans.
In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring 4 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil.
Add the green beans and boil until tender-crisp, but still bright green, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.
- Trimming: Remove the stem ends with a knife or kitchen scissors. If your beans have them, remove any tough strings that run along the length of the beans. There’s no need to trim off the tails. Some love their green beans “frenched,” or sliced lengthwise down the middle.
- Buying: A green bean at its best should have vivid green color, a firm texture, and make an unmistakable “snap” when broken. Avoid any limp beans with rusty brown spots or slimy, darkened stems.
- Storing: Green beans should be stored in an open bag in the refrigerator. Unwashed, untrimmed green beans will last about 1 week.
- Yield: 1 pound of blanched green beans feeds about 4 people.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Make ahead: Wash and trim the beans up to 3 days in advance.
- Freezer: Arrange drained beans in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment or waxed paper and put it in the freezer. Once the beans are frozen, transfer them to a zipper-top bag and freeze up to 9 months. Remove and reheat any portion size, or thaw the whole bag overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Leftovers: Use leftover green beans in an omelet, pasta salad, or green salad. Or, dip cold beans in hummus, ranch dressing, or dill dip.
Serving: 4ounces | Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 239mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 782IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg