Whether you’ve got a cold, cough, or just a case of the winter blues, a Hot Toddy will wrap around you like a warm blanket and soothe your weary bones. Here’s the classic recipe for a delicious hot cocktail you can make all season long.
Servings 1 serving
- 2 ounces bourbon (1/4 cup, see note 1)
- 2 tablespoons honey (see note 2)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon (see note 3)
- 1/2 cup hot water (see note 4)
- 1 cinnamon stick for garnish (see note 5)
- lemon slices for garnish
- ground nutmeg for garnish
In a 6 ounce mug, combine bourbon, honey and lemon juice. Top with hot water.
Add cinnamon stick and stir until honey is dissolved. Garnish with a slice of lemon and grated nutmeg if desired.
- Spirits: Bourbon, whiskey, rum (dark rum, too) Fireball, vodka, even tequila. Lots of people love their hot toddy with brandy, too, so don’t limit yourself. Grand Marnier would be amazing if you like oranges. Basically, pick one strong alcohol that you enjoy the taste of, and go from there.
- Honey: Or something sweet. Sugar, golden syrup, agave nectar, anything to sweeten up the booze and make it sippable.
- Citrus: Lemon or lime juice, or even just citrus peel. For a little vitamin C.
- Hot water: Brewed hot tea works, too.
- Garnish: This pretty cocktail looks even better with a thoughtful garnish. Try a wheel of lemon dotted with a few cloves, an orange peel, a cinnamon stick, grated nutmeg, or candied ginger.
- Warm the mug: Pour some hot water in the mug you plan to use. It will take the chill off of the porcelain and keep the drink hot, longer.
- Improvisation welcome: This drink can be made (and enjoyed) a million different ways. Choose flavors, spices, tea, and garnishes that are complimentary to each other. As long as you actually like what you're using, I promise you'll like the drink.
- Non-alcoholic: In place of the strong stuff, use apple cider, apple juice, cranberry juice, or strongly brewed tea instead.
- Spices: You can add a few spices of your choosing: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, allspice some fresh lemongrass, or a chunk of fresh ginger root.
Serving: 1drink | Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg