Simple and delicious Baked Cod is a knockout weeknight supper ready in 30 minutes or less. Flaky cod filets soak up all the flavors of Mediterranean vegetables simmered in white wine.
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts thawed and patted dry (see note 1)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives halved lengthwise (see note 2)
- 2 shallots minced (see note 3)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (see note 4)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless cod fillets 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick (see note 5)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped, for garnish, optional
- 2 lemons cut into wedges, for serving
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large bowl, add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, shallots, wine, 2 teaspoons olive oil, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine, then spread into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
Pat cod dry with paper towels. Nestle fillets into vegetable mixture, brush each fillet with remaining olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bake until the fillets flake easily with a fork or paring knife, about 20 to 25 minutes (the internal temperature should reach 145 degrees). Garnish with parsley if desired and serve with lemon wedges.
- Artichoke hearts: Or substitute 1 can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained.
- Kalamata olives: Or substitute pitted black or green olives.
- Shallots: 1/4 cup minced onions may be substituted for the shallots.
- White wine: Choose a dry variety such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. To omit the wine, substitute chicken broth.
- Cod: Substitute halibut or haddock for the cod. Thaw fish overnight in the refrigerator. To thaw frozen fish quickly, place in a sealed bag under cool running tap water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Vegetables: Substitute other soft, quick-cooking vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, or asparagus.
- Yield: This recipe will make about 4 servings.
- Make ahead: To get a head start, prep all your vegetables and thaw your fish up to 24 hours in advance.
- Leftovers: This recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made.
Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 315mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 879IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg