This easy Chickpea Salad is fresh, flavorful, and ready in minutes. Just mix hearty canned chickpeas with colorful veggies, a simple red wine vinaigrette, and plenty of feta.
Servings 6 servings
For the red wine vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed (see note 2)
- 2 cups cucumber diced (1/2 hot house cucumber or 2 Persian, see note 3)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (see note 4)
- 4 ounces feta cheese cubed or crumbled
To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper).
In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, red onion, feta cheese, and parsley. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss gently to combine.
- Red wine vinaigrette: This all-purpose salad dressing is delicious on both salads and sandwiches. Balsamic Vinaigrette works well here, too.
- Chickpeas: You can substitute (and cook) 4 ounces dried chickpeas to get 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas (equivalent to 1 can chickpeas).
- Cucumbers: Persian cucumbers have great flavor and are mostly seedless.
- Parsley: You can add or substitute other fresh herbs such as basil, cilantro, or mint.
- Make ahead: The salad ingredients can be prepped and store separately in the refrigerator 2 days in advance. The red wine vinaigrette can be made up to 4 days in advance (store covered in the refrigerator).
- Avocado: Diced avocado makes a delicious addition to your salad.
- Quinoa: Make it a meal with a spoonful of cooked quinoa.
- Greek Salad: Similar ingredients but no chickpeas and it has a Greek salad dressing instead.
- Mediterranean Lentil Salad: A similar salad made with lentils instead of chickpeas.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 398mg | Potassium: 227mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 991IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg