Roasted Tomato Soup
Thanks to the sweetness of oven-roasted plum tomatoes, this easy Roasted Tomato Soup comes out perfectly every single time.
Servings 5 servings
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste, optional
- 32 ounces chicken broth or water
- 28 ounces canned plum tomatoes with juice (undrained)
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves packed, plus more for garnish (chiffonade)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, add tomato halves, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1 tablespoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper). Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
In a large Dutch oven or stock pot (at least 5 1/2 quarts) over medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter until melted. Stir in onions and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and red chili flakes until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in chicken broth, canned tomatoes and juice, basil, thyme, and roasted tomatoes with any accumulated juices on the baking sheet. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup in food processor (or use an immersion blender). Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Fresh tomatoes: Look for fresh plum tomatoes, also known as Romas.
- Canned tomatoes: Whole plum tomatoes in juice. San Marzanos are a favorite, but any canned whole tomato will do.
- Chicken broth. For a vegetarian or vegan soup, make the soup with vegetable broth or even water.
- Creamy: Add a cup of heavy whipping cream or half-n-half at the end and stir until heated through. Or, add a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream right on top.
- Chilled: Just like Gazpacho, this soup is very tasty when it's served chilled on a hot summer's day.
- Yield: This recipe yields 10 cups (2 1/2 quarts):
- 5 entree servings (2 cups each)
- 10 appetizer servings (1 cup each)
Serving: 2cups | Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 962mg | Potassium: 1203mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 3715IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 4mg