Full of color and texture, this easy Beet Salad recipe is loaded with goat cheese, almonds, and a delicious lemon vinaigrette. It's great for lunch, a light dinner, and all your upcoming parties! Save time with store-bought roasted beets or roast them yourself.
Servings 4 servings
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 cloves garlic minced, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or fresh chives or fresh basil, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 4 cups mixed field greens 1 (5-ounce bag)
- 1 pound roasted beets any variety (I like golden beets best, see notes)
- 5 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds roasted (see notes)
To make the vinaigrette:
In a small bowl with a whisk, or in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dijon mustard, fresh thyme, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper). Stir or shake to combine.
To assemble the salad:
In a large serving bowl, add salad greens. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to combine. Top with beets, goat cheese, and almonds. Toss gently and serve.
Dressed salad greens may also be divided among individual plates before adding beets, goat cheese, and almonds. Pass extra salad dressing separately.
You can use store-bought roasted beets if desired. Or, roast them yourself.
To roast beets:
Roasting almonds is optional but always recommended. You can also buy roasted almonds to save time.
To roast almonds in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove tops and scrub 1 pound beets well under cold water.
- Lightly oil beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in small baking dish (a loaf pan works well) and cover with parchment paper.
- Bake until tender when pierced with a skewer, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove parchment paper, and immediately cover baking dish with plastic wrap. Allow beets to steam for 15 to 20 minutes, to loosen skins.
- Rub off skins with fingertips or paper towels. Slice or cut into wedges, cubes, or matchsticks.
To roast almonds on the stove:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast slivered almonds for 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat almonds until browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Calories: 471kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 566mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 871IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 3mg