Chipotle Chicken Sloppy Joes Recipe
A delicious and spicy update on a classic, Chipotle Chicken Sloppy Joes are my new favorite way to have dinner on the table, from stove to plate, in half an hour. And it all starts with one little pantry ingredient.
Servings 4 servings
- 1/2 medium red onion coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from a small can of Chipotle peppers
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 4 buns split
In a food processor or blender, add red onion, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, adobo sauce, ancho chile powder, cumin, dried oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Blend until smooth.
In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until shimmering. Add chicken and green peppers and cook until the chicken is browned, and the peppers are softened, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
Pour sauce ingredients over drained chicken and stir until evenly coated. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve in buns.