Blue Cheese Dressing
This made-from-scratch recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing is from an old-fashioned Kansas City steakhouse that has long been closed. It's simple, delicious, and perfect on your next wedge salad.
Servings 8 servings
- 3 ounces blue cheese crumbles (1/2 cup, see note 1)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (see note 2)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 scallions coarsely chopped, green parts only
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In the bowl of a food processor, add blue cheese, buttermilk, sour cream, scallions, and lemon juice. Pulse until the scallions are finely chopped.
Pour the dressing into a bowl and mix in the mayonnaise by hand. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you prefer a chunky blue cheese dressing, add more crumbles.
- Blue cheese: You’ll need some for the salad dressing and more to scatter on top. If you don’t care of blue cheese, substitute ranch dressing and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Buttermilk: Adds beautiful acidity to the dressing. You can make your own by pour 1 cup full-fat milk into a bowl. Stir in 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice or white vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes to curdle and thicken.
- Yield: One batch of the recipe makes almost 2 cups of luscious dressing.
- Storage: Stored in the fridge, the dressing should last at least 5 to 7 days after you make it. This recipe has some lemon juice (instead of chemical preservatives found in store-bought dressings) so it can stay fresh for a while.
- Use the food processor: It's tempting to just mix everything up in a bowl to save on clean-up, but I find the blade of the processor minces the scallions into the dressing better than I ever could.
- Serving suggestions: Enjoy with raw or roasted vegetables as a dip, or make a spinach salad with roasted beets. A spoonful on a grilled burger is pretty fabulous, too. Or serve it with sliced onions and summer tomatoes as an impromptu salad.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 182IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 1mg