French Toast Sticks
I know you’re going to want this recipe for French Toast Sticks; they’re dippable, dunkable, and absolutely irresistible at any age. Trust me; I’ve been making them for breakfast almost every weekend since the 8th grade.
Servings 8 servings
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the French toast sticks:
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 slices Texas Toast each cut into 4 strips
- 2 quarts vegetable oil or any other neutral oil
To make the cinnamon sugar topping:
To make the French toast sticks:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
In a large bowl, whisk together milk, sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour and baking powder, stirring to combine until there are no lumps.
In a large, deep skillet, Dutch oven, or deep fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees. Working in batches (I do 4 sticks a time), dip bread sticks in batter, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl.
Fry until golden brown on one side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip each stick and continue to cook until golden brown on the second side sides. Drain on paper towels and immediately roll in cinnamon sugar topping.
Remove to prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven until serving time. Repeat with remaining sticks.
To freeze the French Toast sticks:
To reheat frozen French Toast sticks:
- Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a small baking sheet or plate and freeze individually until solid, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe plastic bag.
Inspired by Puffed French Toast in Cooking with Mickey, Volume II.
- Bake straight from the freezer in a 400-degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Microwave straight from the freezer for 1 minute per French Toast stick.
Calories: 2365kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 247g | Saturated Fat: 196g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 116mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 160IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 7mg