The Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
The Best Pumpkin Pie is the one that's easiest to make! Start with a store-bought crust, whisk together a tasty filling, and bake to pumpkin pie perfection.
Servings 8 slices
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell unbaked, 4 cup volume
- Whipped cream optional, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs until beaten. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Slowly add evaporated milk. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell. Bake 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack, about 2 hours. Serve or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Barely adapted from Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie.
To substitute fresh pumpkin for canned:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thoroughly scrub a 3-pound pie pumpkin. Cut into 5-inch pieces, removing stems, seeds, and fibrous strings. Place pieces skin-side down in a shallow baking pan lined with foil, and roast uncovered until tender, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- When cool, scoop the pulp into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Place pumpkin puree into a cheesecloth-lined sieve, and allow to drain for 60 minutes. Discard liquid. Substitute just under 2 cups of the puree for the 15-ounce can of pumpkin.