Fried Green Tomatoes with Remoulade
Traditional Fried Green Tomatoes are soaked in buttermilk, then fried in cornmeal. Served with a side of homemade remoulade, meet your new favorite recipe!
Servings 4 servings
For the Fried Green Tomatoes:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large green tomatoes sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Cajun Seasoning or store-bought, optional
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying (to 1/4-inch deep)
For the Remoulade:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 3 filets minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
To make the Fried Green Tomatoes:
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk and cajun seasoning. Add tomato slices and turn until evenly coated. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
Meanwhile, In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Working with one tomato slice at a time, remove from buttermilk and add to cornmeal, tossing to coat.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat oil to 375 degrees. Fry each tomato slice until golden brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip each slice and continue frying until second side is golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
To make the Remoulade:
In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and stir until smooth.
Add salt, pepper, tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Stir to combine and garnish with fresh parsley.