Roasted Green Beans
These easy Roasted Green Beans are loaded with garlic and lemon and roasted to perfection. They are simple enough for busy weeknights but delicious enough for holidays too!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 pounds green beans trimmed (see note 1)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon (see note 2)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (see note 3)
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
In a large bowl, add green beans, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste and pepper to taste (I like at least 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sometimes I do a little more).
Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Roast until lightly browned in some places but still crispy, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Green beans: Remove the stem ends and any tough strings that run along the length of the beans, if applicable. There’s no need to trim off the tails. Some love their green beans “frenched,” or sliced lengthwise down the middle.
- Lemon: The zest of one lemon (about 1 teaspoon) can be added with the lemon juice. Just zest the lemon before you cut it to squeeze it.
- Salt: For 2 pounds of beans, I like at least 1/2 teaspoon salt, but sometimes I do a full teaspoon. If you're not sure, start with a small amount, then taste test after roasting and add more if needed.
- Yield: 2 pounds of beans will serve 8 as a side dish (1/2 cup per serving).
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They are great tossed into salads or grain bowls.
- More beans: This recipe works perfectly for edamame, sugar snap peas, and haricots verts.
- More mix-ins: Add small button mushrooms or halved cherry tomatoes to the pan before roasting. After roasting, toss with crumbled, cooked bacon, red pepper flakes, or a handful of roasted slivered almonds.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 109kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 782IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg