Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
When you learn how easy it is to make your own homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, you’ll never go back to the can again. Its rich and earthy flavor is wonderful when eaten by the bowlful, and it breathes new, delicious life into your favorite casserole recipes.
Servings 3 servings (1 cup condensed each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter until foaming. Add mushrooms and cook until they have released most of their liquid, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth, onion powder, and garlic powder and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and flour.
Stir in milk mixture and cook until soup has thickened, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make soup, add 1 cup water to this full recipe. Makes 2 servings, 1 cup each.
- Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Magazine, November & December 2006 issue (Green Bean Casserole).