Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
Oven-crisp Rosemary Roasted Potatoes are an easy, delicious side dish that goes with everything from quick family suppers to holiday feasts.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 pounds red-skinned new potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (see note 1)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves (see note 2)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (see note 3)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, garlic, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper). Drizzle with olive oil and toss until evenly coated.
Spread on rimmed baking sheet and arrange potatoes cut-side down. Bake uncovered until brown spots begin to form on the potatoes, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
Sprinkle with cheese and toss until potatoes are evenly coated. Bake until potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer.
- Potatoes: I love small red new potatoes because the skins are thin and tender and I like the red color. You can use white skin potatoes, any kind of baby potatoes, even Russet or baking potatoes--as long as they're cut up into bite-sized pieces.
- Rosemary: Fresh rosemary is best, but if you don't have it, dried rosemary works fine too. Use 2 teaspoons dried rosemary in place of the 2 tablespoons fresh.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated parmesan melts better than the grated Parmesan from the shaker.
- Don't crowd the potatoes: The key to getting that delicious caramelization is leaving space between the potatoes so steam can't form. If you're making potatoes for a bunch of hungry people, use two sheet pans.
- Flip and toss for even browning: Make sure every side has a chance to touch the baking sheet and get crispy.
- Make ahead: This recipe is best served fresh out of the oven, but thankfully it comes together effortlessly in mere minutes. If you're transporting a bunch of potatoes to a party, bake them, cover with foil to travel, and reheat in the oven once you get there.
- Reheating: Reheat leftover roasted potatoes in a 400 degree oven until crispy.
- Other herbs: Fresh (or dried) oregano is also fantastic with these potatoes.
- Garlic powder: You can substitute 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder for every clove of fresh garlic in the recipe.
- Dairy-free potatoes: It's absolutely fine to leave out the cheese here. They'll still taste amazing!
- Lemon rosemary potatoes: A squirt of lemon juice over the roasted potatoes, or lemon zest tossed in with the rosemary, or both, are welcome flavors.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 1055mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 114IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 2mg