Summer’s bounty becomes drinkable with this easy Gazpacho recipe, a chilled soup that requires no cooking whatsoever. Serve it in a bowl or a tall glass; you’ll love it more with every cool, savory sip you take.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 8 (2 cups) servings
- 8 plum tomatoes roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3 red bell peppers cored, seeded, and roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 hothouse cucumbers unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium red onions roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil Chiffonade or a sprig, for garnish
In a food processor fit with the steel blade, pulse the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and red onions separately until coarsely chopped (do not pulse to mush).
Combine all vegetables in a very large bowl (at least 4 quarts). Stir in tomato juice, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper and chill well. Garnish with basil before serving.