The Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
Of all the miracle soups out there, this recipe for the Best Cabbage Soup is crunchy, savory, and never, ever bland. It’s a perfect post-holiday meal, full of complex flavors and surprising textures, and seriously good for you.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small turnip peeled and julienned
- 2 carrots peeled and julienned
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth or beef broth
- 1 pound green cabbage shredded
- 1 green apple peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream for serving, optional
In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add turnip, carrot, onion, and celery, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add broth, cabbage, apple, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon dill. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and stir in pickle or lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream and more fresh dill if desired.