The Best Mashed Potatoes
The Best Mashed Potatoes have just 3 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and are perfect for weekly dinners, Thanksgiving, and everything else!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 5 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into large, uniform sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup butter melted (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups milk hot, plus more if desired (up to 2 cups)
In a Dutch oven or large stockpot, add potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt. Add water to cover potatoes by 1 inch.
Over medium-high heat, bring to boil and partially cover pot. Cook until potatoes are tender and a fork can be easily slipped into the center, stirring once or twice, about 40 minutes. Drain well, tossing in colander to remove excess water.
Wipe pot dry. Return potatoes to pot and mashed to a uniform consistency. Using a rubber spatula, fold in melted butter until just incorporated.
Slowly stir in 1 1/2 cups hot milk. Add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to adjust the consistency as desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make Ahead: You can peel and cube the potatoes, submerging them in water, up to 24 hours in advance (keep them in the refrigerator).