Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers are filled with chipotle-flavored rice, beans, and vegetables, then smothered with melty cheese and crunchy tortilla chips.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 servings
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large bell peppers any color
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seeded and minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded and divided
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips crushed
In a large stock pot, bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil. Trim 1/2-inch from the top of each pepper and remove the stem and seeds.
Add peppers to the water and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from water and place cut-side up to cool.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, chipotle peppers, corn, and black beans, and stir until heated through. Pour into a large bowl.
Add 1 cup cheese, rice, tomatoes, and cilantro to the large bowl with the black beans and stir to combine. Place the peppers in a 9” x 9” baking dish.
Divide the filling evenly among the peppers. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and crushed chips. Bake until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.