Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
This easy Cream of Broccoli Soup recipe is rich, decadent, and full of fresh broccoli florets. It's an absolute classic and perfect for cold weather!
Servings 4 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup minced onion 1/2 small
- 1/2 cup chopped celery 2 ribs
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (about 24 ounces)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth divided (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream hot
- salt and ground white pepper
- croutons for garnish optional
In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add onion, celery, and broccoli. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups broth and bring to simmer.
Simmer until veggies are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes longer. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth.
Wipe out saucepan. Return pureed soup to pan. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and cream. Bring to simmer and stir until heated through.
Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Garnish with croutons if desired.