3-Ingredient Homemade Biscuits Recipe
Trusted for the last 35 years, this homemade biscuit recipe is just 3 ingredients. Make these for dinner, shortcake, and all your favorite breakfast dishes!See recipe notes for freezer instructions.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 12 biscuits
- 2 cups self-rising flour (see notes)
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut into pea-sized cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. In a large bowl, combine flour and butter. Using a pastry cutter, a fork, or 2 knives, cut in butter until a coarse meal develops and butter is evenly distributed.
Add milk and stir until a soft dough forms. If the dough is sticky, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 20 seconds, adding flour if the dough becomes sticky.
Roll out to 1/2-inch thick and cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Press together uncut dough and continue rolling and cutting biscuits.
Bake until lightly golden brown on top and fragrant, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon baking powder + 1/2 teaspoon salt may be substituted for the self-rising flour.
- Shortening may be substituted for the butter.
- The biscuits may be made ahead and frozen, unbaked, up to a month in advance. Bake straight from the freezer adding 3 to 5 minutes to the baking time.