Mexican Chicken Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup is easy, delicious, and accidentally healthy! It's also ready in 30 minutes or less and a great way to put leftover chicken to work.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 medium onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro optional
- 3 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- Avocado, cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips for serving (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened and the onion has started to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and juice, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir in chicken and cilantro (if using). Serve, offering avocado, cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips on the side.