Forget your local Ristorante. The most delicious Creamy Chicken Pasta comes together with sun-dried tomatoes and a rich cream sauce in just 15 minutes!
When my sister Erin shared her recipe for Creamy Chicken Pasta, I couldn’t wait to dive in to a giant bowl. It had all the elements of a high-end Italian dish: Tender chicken, sweet sun-dried tomatoes, fragrant basil, heavy cream, and fresh pasta.
But the most life-changing element? It was done in just 15 minutes.
If you know me, you know that I don’t seek out lightning-fast recipes that are made in 10 seconds with 3 ingredients. I’m happy to cook. I ENJOY cooking. Spending some time in the kitchen is my idea of relaxation.
But in this case, I’ll make an exception. Dinner in 15 minutes? Well, okay. You twisted my arm.
This recipe calls for “fresh” pasta which, for our purposes, means refrigerated pasta. It’s basically the best pasta ever for reasons such as: It tastes great and it cooks in 2 or 3 minutes. It’s one of the reasons this dish is done so quickly.
I am sure you have heard this a million times, but cook with the wine you drink. Please avoid the “cooking wine” sold in spice aisle. It’s just the worst.
Sometimes I buy those 4-packs of mini wine bottles for those times I don’t want to open a full-size bottle (What times are those, you wonder, and we all LOL? Well, that’s what I did when I was pregnant). Each bottle is 187 mL, or about 1 cup. You can also skip the wine entirely and just use chicken broth.
When looking for sun-dried tomatoes, you want the dry-packed version in a pouch, not the oil-packed version in a jar. However, if you can only find oil-packed tomatoes, I have some information in the recipe notes on how to proceed. No worries!
If I haven’t yet convinced you with promises of chewy pasta, creamy sauce, and sweet sun-dried tomatoes, let me repeat: It’s done in 15 minutes. From start to finish. And it’s SO GOOD.
Creamy Chicken Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 (9 ounce) package fresh fettuccine or linguine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring four quarts of water to a boil; add pasta and cook according to package directions, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken and shallots and cook until the chicken is mostly cooked through and the shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine and cream. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, basil, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Pour chicken and cream sauce over pasta in serving bowl. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.