Forget your local Ristorante. The most delicious Creamy Chicken Pasta comes together with sun-dried tomatoes and a rich cream sauce in just 15 minutes!
When my sister Erin shared her recipe for Creamy Chicken Pasta, I couldn't wait to dive in to a giant bowl. It had all the elements of a high-end Italian dish: Tender chicken, sweet sun-dried tomatoes, fragrant basil, heavy cream, and fresh pasta.
But the most life-changing element? It was done in just 15 minutes.
If you know me, you know that I don't seek out lightning-fast recipes that are made in 10 seconds with 3 ingredients. I'm happy to cook. I ENJOY cooking. Spending some time in the kitchen is my idea of relaxation.
But in this case, I'll make an exception. Dinner in 15 minutes? Well, okay. You twisted my arm.
This recipe calls for "fresh" pasta which, for our purposes, means refrigerated pasta. It's basically the best pasta ever for reasons such as: It tastes great and it cooks in 2 or 3 minutes. It's one of the reasons this dish is done so quickly.
I am sure you have heard this a million times, but cook with the wine you drink. Please avoid the "cooking wine" sold in spice aisle. It's just the worst.
Sometimes I buy those 4-packs of mini wine bottles for those times I don't want to open a full-size bottle (What times are those, you wonder, and we all LOL? Well, that's what I did when I was pregnant). Each bottle is 187 mL, or about 1 cup. You can also skip the wine entirely and just use chicken broth.
When looking for sun-dried tomatoes, you want the dry-packed version in a pouch, not the oil-packed version in a jar. However, if you can only find oil-packed tomatoes, I have some information in the recipe notes on how to proceed. No worries!
If I haven't yet convinced you with promises of chewy pasta, creamy sauce, and sweet sun-dried tomatoes, let me repeat: It's done in 15 minutes. From start to finish. And it's SO GOOD.
Creamy Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) package fresh fettuccine or linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry, NOT packed in oil)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Bring four quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil; add pasta and cook according to package directions, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add chicken and shallots and cook until the chicken is mostly cooked through and the shallots have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in wine and cream. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, basil, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste (I like 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.)
- Pour chicken and cream sauce over pasta in serving bowl. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil and serve.