Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich has cayenne-roasted chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, pesto mayonnaise, and cucumbers on flatbread. It’s epic.
Today I’m sharing a pretty spectacular sandwich with you.
This Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich this is worth reading about, considering, and trying. It’s so dang good, I MUST describe the myriad of flavors to you before another moment passes.
Chickpeas roasted in cayenne pepper, then blended with sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, mayonnaise, and fresh basil.
THAT, on flatbread with crisp lettuce, crunchy cucumbers, and pesto mayonnaise.
I mean, I just can’t even with all the flavors and textures and general wonderment.
Back in April, I attended the IACP Conference. One of the lunches was hosted by USA Pulses (pulses are beans, peas, chickpeas, and lentils). I had the most fabulous sandwich that day: A spicy chickpea salad spread on a baguette with lettuce and cucumbers.
I snapped a quick photo of the sandwich description (created by Crossroads Chef Tal Ronnen). That photo has served as my guide to recreating the masterpiece in my own kitchen. I just started mixing ingredients, tasting as I went, and by the end I had a sandwich worth devouring.
I devoured it.
Then I made another one so I could take pictures.
My biggest opportunity for improving the original sandwich I tried at IACP was the bread. I love baguettes as much as anyone, but it was all wrong for the chickpea salad. It was too chewy and the ratio of bread-to-spread was off. Soft, pillowy flatbread was the PERFECT upgrade.
The Spicy Chickpea Salad is vibrant in both color and flavor and even better than I remember. When you add the pesto mayo and all those crunchy veggies, the angels sing.
You can make both the Spicy Chickpea Salad and the pesto up to 3 days in advance (or purchase pesto at the store). I don’t recommend mixing up the pesto mayonnaise until you are assembling the sandwiches.
I also suggest cutting the the cucumbers on the bias to make the slices as long as possible. It just makes it easier to layer them on the sandwich.
Save this Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich to your
“Sandwiches” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Spicy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:10 min
Cook Time:1 hour 20 min
Total Time:1 hour 30 min
To make the Spicy Chickpea Salad:
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed fresh basil leaves
To make the Pesto Mayonnaise:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons purchased or homemade pesto
To make the Sandwiches:
- 4 flatbreads
- 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- To make the spicy roasted chickpeas, preheat oven to 400°F. Spread rinsed chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and rub to dry. Toss chickpeas with olive oil, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer on rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time. Cool 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine roasted chickpeas, mayonnaise, tomatoes, peppers, basil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mayonnaise and pesto in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble the sandwiches, lay 4 flatbreads on a flat surface. Divide the Spicy Chickpea Salad among 2 flatbreads, spreading each with a thick layer. Spread the remaining 2 flatbreads with Pesto Mayonnaise.
- Arrange the cucumbers in a single layer on each Chickpea Salad flatbread, then sprinkle with lettuce. Top each with a Pesto Mayonnaise flatbread.
- Cut each of the two flatbread in half or into triangles and serve.