An easy recipe for Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup. This hearty, delicious recipe is perfect for chilly weather or anytime you want lasagna without layering noodles and firing up your oven. Customize with your favorite noodles and all the cheese!
Spring break is underway, and I’m heading back to Wisconsin for a visit.
Apparently it’s in the 20’s there right now, though, so I’m bringing all my best cold weather food ideas. Lasagna Soup is perfect for the occasion because it’s so easy to make and tastes delicious! Everyone is going to love it.
What meat goes in Lasagna Soup?
I started with a pound of Italian sausage.
I chose mild, but you can use sweet or hot if you prefer. You could also substitute ground beef it that is how you prefer your lasagna. Or go halvesies! (Is that a word?)
Brown the meat in a skillet with the vegetables before you add it to the slow cooker. You can drain the grease if you want to (I never do because Fat is Flavor).
How to Make Lasagna Soup
While browning the meat and softening the vegetables in a skillet, load up your slow cooker with the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, mushrooms (OPTIONAL), and a pile of spices.
I LOVE these spices; they are straight from my favorite lasagna recipe. Stir in some water. Add the meat mixture. Cook slowly.
Towards the end, stir in some noodles. I think radiatori pasta is adorable and apparently everyone else thinks so too, since I couldn’t find it ANYWHERE. I used rotini.
The best part about this, and the part that really makes it feel like lasagna, is when you ladle up a huge bowl full and then SMOTHER it in cheese. We’re talking about lots of cheese here. Because it’s a lasagna which I think means MOSTLY CHEESE in Italian.
To my sister Monica and anyone else who hates ricotta cheese: You’re welcome.
And to anyone out there who shall remain nameless, that gets freaked out by the gigantic lasagna noodles: You are also welcome.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced, optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans water
- 1 cup rotini or other small pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese for topping
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine sausage, onions, and carrots. Cook until the sausage has browned and the vegetables has softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain if desired. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, add diced tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, basil, fennel, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to the slow cooker. Stir in water and sausage mixture.
- Cover and heat on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, stir in the pasta, cover, and continue to cook until softened. Serve with mozzarella cheese on the side.