This easy, healthy Roasted Eggplant Dip is full of roasted vegetables and fresh herbs – nothing bad here! Enjoy plain with pita wedges or on a sandwich.
Whether you are feeding a vegan, need some more vegetables in your life, or just enjoy experimenting with new recipes, this Roasted Eggplant Dip is a delicious addition to your menu.
This recipe falls under one of my favorite categories, “Accidentally Healthy.” This means I set out to make something delicious which, inexplicably, also turned out to be healthy.
How to Make Roasted Eggplant Dip
Start by roasting eggplant, bell peppers, onions, and fresh thyme until the vegetables are soft with some brown spots. Some of the water will release too which concentrates the flavors.
Next, cool slightly (just 5 minutes or so) and place in a food processor. Blend until mostly smooth with some texture (I like mine a little chunky but it’s totally up to you!
You can also do this in a blender or in a mortar and pestle if you want.
Finally, stir in the remaining ingredients (fresh lemon juice, red wine vinegar, a touch of sugar which can easily be omitted but tastes great, and some red pepper flakes for heat).
Serve with toasted pita wedges, fresh vegetables, crackers, tortilla chips, or as a spread on a sandwich. Also, it’s great when served along side my Hummus and Tapenade for a full Mediterranean spread.
This Roasted Eggplant Dip checks all the boxes: Easy, colorful, delicious, healthy, flavorful!
Roasted Eggplant Dip Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
- In a large bowl, combine eggplant, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and thyme. Drizzle with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss to combine.
- Spread on prepared baking sheet and roast until the vegetables are soft and lightly browned, about 45 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting time. Cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and add tomato paste. Pulse until blended, 3 or 4 times. Transfer to a bowl and stir in lemon juice, red wine vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.