Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus makes a fun and tasty appetizer or an elegant first course. Bakes up to salty, chewy perfection in 20 minutes!
When I want to thrill my husband, I make Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus.
Prosciutto is bacon’s older, smarter sister and she looks good wrapped around anything!
What I love about prosciutto is that even a small amount can have a huge impact. In this recipe, just 4 ounces of prosciutto is enough to flavor an entire pound of asparagus. Game-changer.
Trimming the Asparagus
I prefer to trim asparagus by breaking it off by hand at it’s natural breaking point. That way, you won’t end up with any accidental woody stems that you chew forever and ever without getting anywhere. Just grab a handful of asparagus (5 or 6 spears) and start to fold them near the bottom of the spear. They will break naturally at exactly the right spot. Toss the woody ends, set the trimmed spears aside, and repeat with the rest of your asparagus.
Wrapping the Prosciutto
Prosciutto is often paper-thin and tricky to work with. I have found that laying each piece on a clean kitchen towel makes it easier to negotiate and roll. It’s quite forgiving and you don’t need any kind of device to secure it into place after wrapping it. The prosciutto will automatically stick to itself and stay put.
Seasoning the Spears
Because prosciutto is salty, I only season the asparagus spears with black pepper. I also brush the spears lightly with olive oil. I focus mostly on the flowery tips because they seem to dry out and get crunchy first. They are also the furthest away from the prosciutto so they won’t get any residual juicy goodness from that.
That’s really all there is to it. It’s one of the easiest recipes around and you can make Prosicutto Wrapped Asparagus as an appetizer, a first course, or even a side dish. I guarantee everyone will eat more “vegetables” if said vegetables are wrapped in delicious, salty prosciutto!
Save this Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus to your “Side Dishes” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Yield: 4 servings
Cook Time:30 min
Total Time:30 min
- 1 pound fresh asparagus (look for thicker stems that are about 1-ounce each)
- 4 ounces prosciutto
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Remove the woody, tough ends from the asparagus. To do this, grab a handful of stems (5-6 at a time) and start to fold near the bottom of the stem. Each stem should break at the spot where it starts to toughen.
- Cut each piece of prosciutto into quarters (you should have about 16 pieces). Working with one asparagus stem at a time, wrap a piece of prosciutto around the middle of the stem. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining prosciutto and asparagus.
- Brush the wrapped stems lightly with olive oil, concentrating most on the flowery tops which dry out easily. Sprinkle with pepper, about ½ tsp or to taste.
- Bake until the asparagus stems are tender and the prosciutto is crisp, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.