Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes combines two family favorites into one crazy delicious sandwich you’ll be asked (begged) to make on a regular basis. It’s lightning-fast to make, in a skillet or crockpot, and is a sure thing with kids and adults alike. Dress it up or down by adding your own favorite things: cheez-whiz, green chilies, or barbecue sauce. Great ideas down below!
Not everyone is lucky enough to have their favorite cheese steak hole-in-the-wall nearby, and where I live is a long ways away from Geno’s or Pat’s. But when the urge hits, this sloppy Joe recipe is what I make.
Beef, cheese, peppers, and a little guest appearance from chopped mushrooms, all make this one absolutely delicious dinner.
After all, Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes are, like every sloppy Joe recipe out there, endlessly adaptable.
Making a triple batch of Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes? Who could blame you? Click and slide the number next to “servings” on the recipe card below to adjust the ingredients to match how many you’re feeding—the recipe does the math for you, it’s that easy.
What kind of bread can you use for Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes?
The great part about this recipe is the fun you can have with add-ins, bread, and low-carb options.
Some ideas for bread:
- Buttered, toasted Hawaiian bread or Texas toast
- Hot grilled tortillas folded up and served on the side
- Little slider buns for Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes (gulp) sliders
- Hoagie sandwich rolls
- Amoroso’s Hearth Baked Rolls, if you wanna be authentic
How to make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes in a crockpot:
- First, brown the beef and drain off excess liquid. Then add the onions, mushrooms, green pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Serve on toasted buns with provolone or cheez-whiz.
How do you make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes low-carb?
Here’s some fun ideas for making dinner delicious while keeping the carbs low:
- Serve Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes over riced cauliflower.
- Spoon the Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe stuffed in red or green bell peppers and bake with melted cheese on top.
- Cook up portobello mushroom caps and serve Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes spooned on top.
How do you make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes healthy?
Depending on what you’re trying to avoid, you could use the leanest beef, or ground turkey or chicken, fat-free cheddar cheese, and light-style, low-carb, or gluten-free hamburger buns.
Please tell me how you did it in the comments!
Other ways to make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes:
No ketchup: Did someone use the last of the bottle without telling you? Switch up tomato paste or crushed tomatoes instead. Or pour in your favorite BBQ sauce.
Worcestershire sauce: I can never find mine, can you? Use steak sauce of some kind, and don’t worry about going back to the store.
Whiz or without? Go ahead and use another cheese: Cheese-Whiz, American cheese singles, pepper jack, or muenster cheese with Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes.
Why mushrooms in Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes: Mushrooms add body, flavor, and texture to these sloppy Joes. If you chop them finely enough, no one will be the wiser. If you don’t care for them, leave them out. Joe won’t mind–he likes everything!
Spicy Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes:
It doesn’t have to be ‘authentic’ as long as it’s delicious.
- Add 2 tablespoons of diced jalapenos and a teaspoon of the juice.
- For a tangy zip, add jarred sliced banana peppers and some of the liquid.
- Not a fan of bell peppers? Switch out canned Hatch green chilies instead.
Can you freeze Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes?
You can freeze the beef mixture and warm it up in the slow cooker when you need it, adding cheese later.
I often make a double batch and freeze it in portions with buns wrapped in foil and plastic wrap—great for meal prep.
Can I make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes ahead of time?
This comes together pretty easily but if you’re looking to prep a few things to get ready for a busy week, you could brown the meat and make the vegetables ahead of time. Once ready to serve, finish up the remaining steps.
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms finely chopped (or omit if desired)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Sandwich buns split
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Mayonnaise for serving, optional
- Butter lettuce leaves for serving, optional
- Tomato slices for serving, optional
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add beef. Cook until beef is dark brown and caramelized on one side before breaking apart, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green pepper, onion, and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- Pour sauce ingredients over drained beef and stir until evenly coated. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler on HIGH. Arrange split rolls on a baking sheet and broil until toasted, 30 seconds to one minute.
- Divide mixture evenly on the bottom half of each roll. Top with cheese and broil until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds to one minute. Top with buns. Serve with mayonnaise if desired.