One pot Puerto Rican Rice with sausage, corn, cilantro, and the fluffiest rice is a family favorite! Makes a great main dish or side dish (not too spicy).
My sister Monica brought Puerto Rican Rice into our family.
For the most part, she cooked it from memory. While she had a recipe written down at one point, it was “lost.” I was blamed.
Shortly after moving to California, though, I found her “original recipe.” It included a list of ingredients and nothing more. No amounts, no method. Just the ingredients.
We had a good laugh. Then we ate Puerto Rican Rice.
Since there was no real recipe to follow, I fashioned a version that follows my Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice method. It’s simple, delicious, and cooks all in one pot.
Other tasty ingredients include Italian sausage, pepperoncinis (and juice!), Mexicorn, and fresh cilantro. All very good stuff. If you are worried about spiciness, add a scoop of sour cream to your plate.
Puerto Rican Rice is a delicious main dish (especially wrapped in a tortilla) or side dish. It’s one of my most favorite things to eat and possibly the best recipe Monica ever gave me.
Or didn’t give me.
One Pot Puerto Rican Rice Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup sliced pepperoncini
- ¼ cup pepperoncini juice from jar
- 4 packets Goya Sazon Cilantro-Achiote Seasoning
- 1 (11 ounce) can Green Giant Mexicorn drained
- 1 cup minced cilantro
- Adjust an oven rack to the center position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, cook sausage and onion until the sausage is mostly cooked through and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, reserving the fat in the pot.
- To the reserved fat, add rice and sauté, stirring frequently, until light golden in color, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pork and onion, water, pepperoncini, pepperoncini juice, Goya seasoning, and corn. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fluff with a fork. Fold in cilantro and serve.