An easy recipe for Montreal Steak Seasoning. Make this copycat spice blend using common pantry ingredients.
What is Montreal Steak Seasoning made of?
Montreal Steak Seasoning is made of garlic, coriander, dill, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Some recipe variations, including mine, also contain paprika and dried minced onion.
The recipe itself is based on the pickling spices of Eastern European and Jewish cuisine. The spice blend also goes by the names Montreal Steak Spice, Canadian Steak Spice, and Canadian Steak Seasoning.
How do I use Montreal Steak Seasoning?
Use Montreal Steak Seasoning as a dry rub on steak, pork, chicken, or vegetables.
Or, combine 4 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning with 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup soy sauce. Use to marinade up to 2 pounds of steak.
How do you store Montreal Steak Seasoning?
Store this spice blend, any other homemade spice blends, in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
What is the best way to season a steak?
- Bring your steaks to room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
- Add dry rubs or salt just before cooking. If you add salt in advance, it will draw water out of the meat which makes it more difficult to get a hard, crusty sear.
- If using a wet marinade, marinade at least 30 minutes. Bring to room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes. Wipe off any excess marinade before cooking.
Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, pepper, salt, garlic, onion, coriander, dill, and crushed red pepper. Store in an airtight container.