At the end of a crazy day, it’s comforting to know that Honey Garlic Chicken for dinner is less than an hour away. Served with fluffy rice or bright green steamed broccoli, it’s a chicken recipe you’ll make again and again out of ingredients you already have in your pantry.
No matter what kind of chicken you have in the refrigerator, you can make this recipe for dinner. It’s true! It works with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. But it also is fabulous with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs; you just need to cook everything a little bit longer.
Making Honey Garlic Chicken for Sunday supper? Or do you just need extra sauce, just in case? Click and slide the number next to “servings” on the recipe card below to adjust the ingredients to match how many you’re feeding—the recipe does the math for you, it’s that easy.
Honey Garlic Sauce:
There are a million other recipes out there, but this one is the best, all because of lime juice and Sriracha, a bold and spicy hot sauce that tastes great on everything. (It also tastes fantastic with shrimp and salmon, too…)
Soy sauce. Low sodium or regular soy sauce or tamari is a-ok.
Sriracha. A famous chili sauce with the rooster on the bottle. Sriracha substitutes include hot sauce, chili paste, sambal oelek, or tabasco.
Lime Juice. Freshly squeezed, please!
Honey. Liquid gold. Naturally sweet honey is the backbone of this sauce.
Garlic. Freshly minced garlic makes this sauce taste incredible.
Cornstarch. A little thickener goes a long way. Cornstarch needs heat to work its thickening magic.
Sesame oil. Aromatic oil adds a nutty toasty flavor you’ll love.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken:
This how-to is for the visual learners who might be browsing pics. For specific amounts and units, as well as an option to change the quantity of the recipe, please have a look at the recipe near the bottom of the page.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl: lime juice, Sriracha, garlic, honey, soy sauce, half of the sesame oil, and the cornstarch. Like it extra garlicky? Add more garlic. Want it extra spicy? Add more hot sauce!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, find a sturdy, oven-proof skillet. Heat the remainder of the sesame oil in the skillet over medium high heat and add the seasoned chicken. Cook until chicken is golden, but not cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Then pour the honey garlic sauce into the skillet and move the pan into the oven. Bake the chicken until its internal temperature registers 165 degrees. This should take about 25 minutes.
- Then turn on the broiler. Spoon the glaze over the chicken and broil chicken for 2 minutes.
- Slice and serve with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken in the Slow Cooker:
Crock pot, slow cooker…whatever you call it, this recipe works fabulously in it.
- Combine soy sauce, honey, garlic, Sriracha, lime juice, sesame oil, and corn starch in a bowl. Place seasoned chicken in the bottom of a 5- 0r 6-quart crock pot.
- Pour sauce over chicken and cover. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours, basting every hour.
- To crisp up chicken, especially skin-on chicken, take this optional step under the broiler:
- Preheat oven to broil. Place chicken onto a baking sheet, skin side up, and broil until crisp and bubbly, about 3-4 minutes.
What about the sesame seeds?
A handful of seeds sprinkled on the chicken are anything but an afterthought. Sesame seeds give a little crunch to the dish, particularly when they’re toasted, and they’re good for you, too! If you have any leftover from making tahini, this is the place to use ’em.
To learn how to toast sesame seeds, visit this how-to, which delves into all things sesame seed related.
What kind of chicken for Honey Garlic Chicken?
That’s completely up to you and your favorite cut of chicken (or what’s on sale at the store). You can make Honey Garlic Chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, or breasts. For this recipe, boneless breasts always work–everybody loves them and they cook quickly.
If you like your chicken with the skin on, make sure to brown the skin before finishing it in the oven. That delicious sauce will make it sticky and finger-licking good.
To make honey garlic chicken skewers, cut the chicken into chunks and skewer using bamboo skewers or stainless steel skewers. Instead of sautéing, bake the skewered chicken on a rimmed baking sheet or in a casserole, spooning the sauce over the chicken as it cooks.
Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil divided
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- juice of one lime
For the chicken:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- sesame seeds for garnish
- sliced green onions for garnish
To make the glaze:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, sesame oil, Sriracha, garlic, and lime juice. Set aside.
To make the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, heat sesame oil. Add chicken and cook without moving until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes.
- Flip chicken and continue cooking until the second side is golden brown, about 4 minutes longer. Drizzle with glaze and transfer to oven.
- Bake until chicken is 160 degrees when tested with an internal thermometer at the thickest part of a breast, about 25 minutes. Preheat broiler on HIGH.
- Spoon glaze over chicken and broil 2 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.