This is the EASIEST salad dressing to make-bar none. 5 pantry staples and you have a delicious, healthy red wine vinaigrette recipe for salads and sandwiches.
I love this red wine vinaigrette on Greek Pasta Salad, Chickpea Salad, and anything Mediterranean. Make more of your favorite salad dressings (15+ recipes here) and pantry staples (recipes here) at home.
This Red Wine Vinaigrette is easy and fabulous. 5 pantry ingredients (including salt!) is all it takes for the easiest vinaigrette, ever.
How do you make red wine vinaigrette?
My recipe is super simple, the kind of dressing you can whisk up in a minute or two. Anything longer and I might just order pizza. JUST KIDDING.
- Olive oil. You can substitute part of the oil with something else like avocado oil, walnut oil, or hazelnut oil.
- Red Wine Vinegar. You can use a different vinegar such as white wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or even cider vinegar. Just to be clear, you won't have a Red Wine Vinaigrette anymore if you do that (but your dressing will still be delicious).
- Dijon mustard. This will emulsify the dressing and infuse it with flavor. You can also use brown mustard.
- Oregano. I like a teaspoon of dried oregano in my dressing. You could use Italian seasoning if that's more your speed, or swap in some minced fresh herbs (basil, chives, and parsley all sound good).
- Salt and pepper. To taste. I recommend tasting the dressing before you add any salt. Then, add 1/4 teaspoon (or an 1/8th if you are shy about salt). Taste it again, and go from there. Once I figure out the salt, I generally add 50% of that amount of freshly ground black pepper (that's a ratio I learned in culinary school and I like it).
To combine, you can:
- Whisk it in a bowl
- Shake it in a jar
- Blast it in a blender
Choose your own adventure.
What do you use red wine vinegar for?
This recipe is my daily go-to for salads and sandwiches (it reminds me of "Mike's Way" at Jersey Mikes).
I also love it on:
- Chickpea Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Antipasto Salad
- Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- Buddha Bowl
Homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper start with 1/4 teaspoon (I use 1/2 teaspoon)
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I like 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Store covered in the refrigerator and use within 4 days.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1-2 teaspoons minced fresh herbs