This Healthy Banana Bread made with 100% whole wheat flour and is free of refined sugar and butter. It’s equal parts delicious and better for you!
The only way I’m going to make Healthy Banana Bread is if it tastes so good, no one can even tell the difference.
This recipe is super moist, flavorful, and punctuated with just the right amount of chocolate chips. It’s also made with 100% whole wheat flour, sweetened with honey or maple syrup, and uses your choice of healthy fat instead of butter.
How to Make Banana Bread
Like other quick breads (as in, breads made without yeast), Banana Bread is made via the Muffin Method.
The Muffin Method involves combining dry ingredients with liquid fat such as butter or oil. In our case, to make healthy banana bread, I suggest olive oil or melted coconut oil.
To combine the dry and wet ingredients:
- Whisk until just combined.
- Do not overmix.
- The batter should be lumpy.
- Fold in chocolate chips or nuts if desired.
I recommend lining your loaf pan with parchment paper and spraying it with nonstick spray.
Pour in the batter and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with a few crumbs attached, about 55 to 60 minutes.
How to Make Vegan Banana Bread
This healthy Banana Bread is easily vegan. Just make these changes:
- Use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Use flax eggs instead of eggs.
- Use non-dairy milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk.
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ripe bananas mashed (about 2 to 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup milk (or water for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan. Line with parchment paper if desired or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil and honey. Add eggs and whisk until smooth, then whisk in bananas, milk, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until combined but do not overmix. If adding nuts or chocolate chips, carefully fold them in.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.