Learn the secret to the crispiest baked chicken wings of your life! Then toss them in a sweet and tangy sauce for the most delicious Coca Cola Chicken Wings, ever.
I have always identified as more of a Wing Eater than a Wing Maker.
Wings are just one of those things that seem intimidating. I’d rather just show up somewhere and chow down.
We can now all bake our way to crispy wings and sauce them with a multitude of options, including this fantastic Coca Cola sauce.
Chicken Wing Prep
First things first.
Unless you buy wings and drumettes already prepared, you’ll need to remove the wing tips and separate the flats from the drumettes.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
The trick to the crispiest baked wings, ever, is to toss them in a mixture of baking powder and salt. It really works.
Then, bake them on a rack at two different temperatures: 250 degrees and 425 degrees. You will be surprised at how truly crispy these wings are!
Coca Cola Sauce
While the wings are baking, the sauce cooks quickly and easily on your stove top.
To balance out the sweetness of the Coca-Cola, I start with bacon, onions, and garlic. Some brown sugar and a splash of soy sauce add even more flavor before I thicken the whole thing with cornstarch.
Make the sauce in advance so it has even more time to thicken. Then, just toss with the wings and enjoy!
Coca Cola Chicken Wings Recipe
TO MAKE THE WINGS:
- 3 pounds chicken wings flats and wingtips removed
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
TO MAKE THE COCA-COLA SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon
- ½ red onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can Coca-Cola
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Arrange two oven racks in the upper middle and lower middle positions, respectively. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Coat rack with nonstick spray.
- Pat wings dry with paper towels. In a large zipper-top plastic bag, add baking powder and wings and toss to coat.
- Arrange coated wings skin-side up on rack. Bake for 30 minutes on lower-middle oven rack.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees and transfer baking sheet to upper-middle rack. Bake an additional 45 to 50 minutes, until the wings are golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart saucepan or deep skillet, heat oil until shimmering. Add bacon and onions and fry until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in Coca-Cola, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in brown sugar and soy sauce. Transfer 2 tablespoons Coca-Cola sauce to a small bowl and whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- Add back to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened and reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pushing down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Keep warm on stove until wings have finished baking.
- Toss the crispy wings with Coca-Cola sauce and serve.