This Chicken Tortilla Bowl recipe makes dinner so easy! Made with slow cooker salsa chicken, rice, and all your favorite toppings, it’s fast, fresh, and so delicious.
Especially on busy school nights, nothing could be easier. Everything can be prepped ahead so dinner is ready in minutes!
How to Make Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
Traditional Salsa Chicken is made with just two ingredients: Salsa and Chicken.
I like to add more flavor everywhere, so:
- I coated the chicken in Taco Seasoning mix.
- Then, I smother it in a jar of Mild Taco Sauce.
- Finally, I add a can of Diced Green Chiles.
Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. The chicken will shred easily with two forks and will be saucy, flavorful, and delicious.
It’s perfect on the tortilla bowls, of course, but also on tacos, quesadillas, or in enchiladas. Not bad on a sandwich either!
How do you bake tortilla bowls?
One of my favorite ways to stave off food boredom is to change the presentation.
Just poke holes in the bottom of each bowl with a fork to prevent bubbles and bake for 9 to 10 minutes.
Fill your baked tortilla bowls with rice, the salsa chicken, and all your favorite toppings. I like lettuce, tomato, avocado, and Chipotle Ranch.
I love to make my own Chipotle Ranch using my homemade ranch dressing (just stir in a minced Chipotle pepper or two, and some adobo sauce), but if you’re pressed for time, Ortega® has a great Chipotle sauce too – Chipotle Flavor Craver Taco Sauce.
For an easy work lunch idea, bring your baked tortilla bowl in a covered container and pack the chicken and toppings separately.
Or, leave out the rice, add more veggies, and enjoy a delicious Chicken Tortilla Salad.
Chicken Tortilla Bowl Recipe
For the salsa chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 (1.25 ounce) packet Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Homestyle Mild Salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can Diced Green Chiles drained
For the tortilla bowls:
- 1 Bakeable Tortilla Bowl Kit
- 2 cups Cooked rice for serving
- 2 cups Shredded lettuce for serving
- 1 cup Diced tomatoes for serving
- 1 avocado diced, for serving
- Ortega Chipotle Flavor Craver Taco Sauce for serving (see notes)
To make the salsa chicken:
- Coat chicken breast with taco seasoning and place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with salsa and green chiles.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks and keep warm until serving time.
To make the tortilla bowls:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Press tortillas into baking bowls, forming to curves. Pierce tortillas with a fork 3 to 4 times to prevent bubbles.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake until edges are golden brown or to desired doneness, about 9 to 10 minutes. Cool.
- Divide rice, chicken, and toppings among tortilla bowls. Drizzle with sauce and serve.