These easy Chicken Lettuce Wraps are healthy, delicious, and full of your favorite Asian flavors. And you’ll love the spicy 3-ingredient dipping sauce!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps are one of those things that always sound healthy when you see it on a menu at a restaurant. But then it arrives amid deep-fried noodles or sugary glazes and you might as well have ordered egg rolls!
My version is deliciously lightened up and free of refined sugar and processed ingredients. It’s a Lettuce Wrap that actually delivers on the promise in the name.
How to make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
With most lettuce wraps, the chicken and veggies are cooked in a combination of pantry Asian ingredients and sugar. It tastes great, but the recipes I have seen always have a lot of sugar!
My sauce is made with similar ingredients, sweetened with honey, and then cooked down to concentrate the flavors. Toss the cooked chicken and vegetables in this sauce to infuse every bite with flavor.
Dipping Sauce for Chicken Lettuce Wraps
There is a local paleo meal service in my area called Plate Therapy. They have fantastic Chicken Lettuce Wraps and a really delicious dipping sauce to go with them.
After a few trips over there to chat with the staff, I am delighted to confirm the sauce is equal parts dijon mustard, honey, and sambal oelek (an Indonesian chili paste). And it’s perfect on my lettuce wraps, too!
Is there a substitute for Sambal Oelek?
Any chili paste will work as a substitute for sambal oelek. Sriracha is the easiest option that comes to mind (or maybe I’ve just been in California too long).
What kind of lettuce to use for lettuce wraps?
Butter lettuce is a great choice for lettuce wraps because the leaves are round, sturdy, and easy to separate.
They also have more nutrition than iceberg (although I’ve grown weary of people who talk about how iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value… haven’t you?). You can use romaine or green leaf lettuce for lettuce wraps, but depending on their shape it might be a little messier.
How do you cut lettuce for lettuce wraps?
After washing the lettuce, remove the core and separate the leaves. To prep your lettuce in advance, separate the leaves as directed and store in the refrigerator covered with damp paper towels.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh, grated
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha optional
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 8 ounce whole water chestnuts drained and diced
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce separated into leaves
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sambal oelek or sriracha
To make the sauce:
- In a small saucepan combine honey, coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and Sriracha. Bring to a boil and simmer while preparing the chicken, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
To make the chicken:
- Meanwhile, In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chestnuts and green onion and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and stir to combine. To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of the lettuce leaf, taco-style.
To make the dipping sauce:
- Combine dijon mustard, honey, and sambal oelek in a small bowl and whisk to combine.