Want to wow all your chocolate-loving friends? Tell them you’re serving brownie pizza for dessert! With a chewy brownie crust, sweet cream cheese frosting, colorful fruit toppings, and an apricot glaze to finish, it’s a gorgeous, delicious, show-stopping masterpiece in and of itself.
How do you make brownie pizza?
- First, make the batter for the brownie crust.
- While the crust is baking, whip together a super smooth cream cheese frosting.
- Wash and slice an assortment of fruit for the toppings and design to your heart’s desire.
- To add an extra bit of finesse, brush the fruit with warmed apricot jelly to give it that shine.
What is the easiest way to melt chocolate?
The short answer – the microwave. Our brownie crust requires the process of melting chocolate and butter gradually and delicately.
To achieve this, we need to slowly bring up the temperature of the chocolate and butter to prevent them from burning. This is the reason we melt them in 30 second intervals, while stirring in between each interval.
Hold off on melting the chocolate until completely smooth. Melt until a few chunks of chocolate remain as the residual heat will continue to melt the chocolate and butter until smooth.
Can I substitute cocoa powder for the chocolate?
Yes, but a few minor adjustments are required.
- To replace the 2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, use 6 tablespoons cocoa powder and increase the butter by 2 tablespoons and the sugar by 4 teaspoons.
- Melt the butter as directed in the recipe and whisk the cocoa powder in the hot butter to help it bloom.
Blooming the cocoa powder enhances its flavor and releases the natural aroma that is trapped in the solids.
How do you glaze fruit?
- Warm a few tablespoons apricot jelly over low heat or in 30 second intervals in the microwave.
- Gently brush on the fruit with a pastry brush.
This is the trick pastry chefs use to get that mouth watering shine on fruit pastries!
Can I use a topping other than fruit?
Yes! Although fruit provides a healthy and naturally sweet topping, feel free to use any dessert topping of your choosing.
Try a chocolate candy combination of M&Ms, Kit Kats, and Reeses Pieces, or a salty-sweet combination of roasted, salted nuts (or pretzels!), chocolate chips, and caramel. Just be sure to omit the apricot jelly.
Brownie Pizza Recipe
For the brownie crust:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon lowfat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh fruits such as berries, bananas, clementines , and kiwi
- Apricot jelly for drizzling, optional
To make the brownie crust:
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper and coat the paper and sides of pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate and butter for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave in additional 30-second increments until a few pieces of chocolate remain. Stir until completely smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, sour cream, chocolate syrup, egg, egg white, and vanilla until smooth. Pour into the large bowl with the chocolate and whisk until combined.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs crumbs attached. Cool in the pan at least 1 hour.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
- While the cake is cooling, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Cover and chill until the cake has cooled.
- Use a plastic knife to cut around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake. Remove from the pan and peal the parchment paper from the bottom. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Top with the cream cheese frosting. Arrange fresh fruit in a rainbow pattern or as desired. Cut and serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.