This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see our affiliate policy.
Want to whip up the most delicious chicken or turkey with crispy skin and juicy, flavorful meat? To revolutionize these dinner (and holiday!) staples, pick up one of the best rotisserie ovens in our guide below.
We love using these countertop appliances. They’re faster to heat than an oven and the rotisserie spit ensures even cooking and self-basting. We also love that they free up space in the oven for other dishes around the holidays and that many of the best ones have a ton of other functionalities, too.
To come up with our top picks, Meggan and I researched the top selling small appliances with rotisserie functions on the market, focusing on ones that cook evenly and offer enough capacity for family meals. Along with Meggan’s top choice, the Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer, we discovered some other smart options. Here are favorites!
Our Top Picks:
- Meggan’s Favorite: Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer – $149.95 on Amazon
- Best for Large Families: Instant Omni Pro Toaster Oven Air Fryer – $299.99 on Amazon
- Best Vertical: Nutrichef Vertical Multi-Functional Rotisserie Oven – $79.00 at Amazon
Reviews of The Best Rotisserie Ovens
1. Meggan’s Favorite: Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer
We love this product from the makers of the hugely popular Instant Pot pressure cookers and multi-cookers. Meggan appreciates how this versatile rotisserie and convection oven removes the need for other small countertop appliances (goodbye dehydrator and dedicated air fryer). Plus, for nights when you’re super-busy, you can push one button, and the product will cook favorites like rotisserie-style chicken or potatoes perfectly. This appliance is also stylish and easy to clean.
What Others are Saying: A reviewer for TheKitchn said the rotisserie chicken this appliance turned out was “so incredibly delicious” and raved about the air fryer capabilities and easy clean-up. Over 56,700 Amazon reviewers were also impressed, giving this product an average of 4.6 stars.
- Dimensions: 7″D x 13.23″W x 14.37″H
- 10-quart capacity
- Seven cooking functions (air fry, broil, bake, roast, dehydrate, reheat, and rotisserie)
- Dishwasher-safe accessories and removable oven door
- Includes accessories (non-stick drip pan and two perforated cooking trays, stainless-steel rotisserie basket, rotisserie spit and forks, and lift tool)
- Easy to clean
- Takes up less counter space
- Safety features, like auto-off
- Learning curve (thanks to many programming options!)
- Holds a smaller capacity than other models
Buy the Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer:
2. Best for Large Families: Instant Omni Pro Toaster Oven Air Fryer
Larger families might want to go with this model, which offers almost double the capacity of our top choice (the Instant Vortex Plus) plus several more cooking modes. One useful option is split cooking, which lets you program the appliance to begin with one type of cooking (like baking) and end with another (like broiling), say if you want to make mac and cheese with a crispy breadcrumb topping. Also practical is the temperature probe, which tracks the temperature of food as it cooks and stops cooking once the food reaches a pre-set target temperature.
What Others are Saying: This product is also very popular with over 17,000 reviews and an average rating of 4.5 stars.
- Dimensions: 15.55″D x 14″W x 13.89″H
- 19-quart capacity
- 14 functions (air-fry, broil, bake, roast, dehydrate, reheat, rotisserie, toast, warm, convection, slow cook, proof, split cook, and temperature probe)
- Touchscreen control panel
- Includes dishwasher-safe accessories (temperature probe, enamel baking tray, stainless-steel oven rack, air frying basket, BBQ-style rotisserie spit and forks, and lift tool)
- Easy to clean
- Safety features, like auto-off
- Takes up more counter space
Buy the Instant Omni Pro Toaster Oven Air Fryer:
3. Best Vertical: Nutrichef AZPKRT97 Vertical Multi-Functional Rotisserie Oven
With a vertical rotisserie oven, you can make foods that are lower in fat because it helps grease to drip off food. If this is important to you, Meggan recommends this budget-friendly option with tons of capacity. You can try it for preparing Middle Eastern kebabs or a small turkey on Thanksgiving day.
What Others are Saying: “When it comes to taking the healthy approach, this…oven is superior to its horizontal counterparts, as it efficiently drains the greases and fats from meats,” says Lacademie.com. Amazon reviewers also agree that it’s a top pick, with over 940 awarding it an average rating of 4 stars.
- Dimensions: 12.2″D x 18.9″W x 13.4″H
- 24-quart capacity
- Includes kebab skewer rack, bake pan, and grill racks
- Can bake, broil, rotisserie, or roast
- Extremely spacious
- Stain-resistant and easy to clean
- One-year warranty
- Can make foods lower in fat
- Manual—no digital display
- Fewer cooking functions
- Wide footprint
Buy the Nutrichef Vertical Multi-Functional Rotisserie Oven:
Other Rotisserie Ovens to Consider
4. Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer
With a 4.5-star rating from over 13,000 reviews on Amazon, the Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer is a solid option among countertop convection ovens with rotisserie spits. With a capacity of 16 quarts, it resembles a toaster oven. The Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer is available at Amazon for $163.00.
5. Cosori Air Fryer Toaster Oven
Another countertop convection oven with a rotisserie spit, the Cosori Air Fryer Toaster Oven has the largest capacity at 32 quarts. Because of this, it’s ideal for large families and those with roomy kitchens. We also love that it offers 12 cooking functions and has a 4.5 star rating from over 9,900 reviews on Amazon. The Cosori Air Fryer Toaster Oven is available at Amazon for $169.99.
6. Ronco ST5000PLAT Digital Showtime Rotisserie
The Ronco Rotisserie can cook up to a 15-pound turkey or two whole chickens at a time, while still fitting under most cabinets. However, it looks industrial rather than stylish or homey, and it only has three cooking modes. If you don’t care about looks, and you don’t plan on using it that often, this small appliance is a good choice for holidays like Thanksgiving. The Ronco Digital Showtime Rotisserie is available at Amazon for $147.14.
7. Elite Gourmet ERO-2008S Elite Cuisine 6-Slice Toaster Oven with Rotisserie
The Elite Gourmet Toaster Oven looks like a basic toaster oven, but it actually boasts six cooking modes, including rotisserie. With a 4.3 star rating from over 3,500 Amazon reviews, this countertop pick is another good choice. The Elite Gourmet Elite Cuisine Toaster Oven with Rotisserie is available at Amazon for $85.99.
Why You Can Trust Us
I’m Dina, a lifestyle writer, author of six cookbooks, and lover of rotisserie chicken and kebabs. I worked on this roundup of the best rotisserie ovens with Meggan, the Executive Chef and head of the Culinary Hill Test Kitchen.
To come up with the best rotisserie ovens, Meggan and I conducted extensive research, assessing the many rotisserie ovens, as well as air fryers and toaster ovens with rotisserie functions, on the market. We first sorted through retail sites to find products that met our criteria and then combed through product details, user reviews, and rankings from other publishers to narrow down the best options.
Everything to Know Before Buying a Rotisserie Oven
Do You Really Need a Rotisserie Oven?
If you’re a big meat-eater and prioritize perfectly-cooked meat, a rotisserie oven is a worthwhile investment. Since these appliances rotate meat (which self-bastes in the process), everything from chicken to lamb and beef cooks and browns evenly and retains its juiciness. They also free up space in the oven for other dishes, which is a great perk around the holidays.
What to Consider Before Buying a Rotisserie Oven
When shopping for a rotisserie oven or air fryer/toaster oevn with a rotisserie spit, Meggan recommends keeping the following factors in mind:
- If buying one will help you clear up counter space. Consider what other small appliances you already have that you could potentially replace with a new purchase. If you find something that does it all, you might be able to donate your dehydrator, toaster oven, or air fryer, for instance.
- Whether it will fit on your countertop. If you’re going to keep the rotisserie oven on your countertop all the time, you’ll need to make sure it will fit. We recommend measuring the area in your kitchen where you plan to keep (and/or use) your rotisserie oven and making sure it will fit.
- What you’ll be using it for. Because rotisserie ovens come with a wide variety of different functionalities, you’ll want to decide on how you’ll be using it before picking one. Will you be using your oven to make rotisserie chicken only? Or do you plan to take advantage of other functions, like dehydrating, proofing, and baking, too? If the latter, you’ll need a product with more capabilities.
- How much capacity you’ll need. If you have kids or plan to make meals for parties and holidays, you should opt for a larger capacity model.
- If low-fat cooking is a priority. If you’d like the rotisserie oven to get rid of grease and fat, consider a vertical model rather than a horizontal one. This is because the grease drips off food in vertical models.
How Do You Use a Rotisserie Oven?
Follow the instructions in the manual. Generally, you skewer the bird, and then mount or place the rotisserie spit in the appliance.
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken
The process is simple. First, remove the giblets (the organs usually packaged inside the cavity), and then coat the chicken with olive oil and a spice rub (Meggan likes a mixture of paprika, dried thyme, garlic and onion powders, ground black pepper, and salt). Next, truss (tie) the bird and then skewer the bird and insert the skewers into the rotisserie oven. Cook following your appliance’s instructions, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This should take about one hour. Finally, let the bird rest (sit) for 10 minutes before carving.
Check out Meggan’s Rotisserie Chicken recipe for more details.
How Long Does it Take to Cook Chicken in a Rotisserie Oven?
It usually takes 40-60 minutes to cook a chicken in a rotisserie oven.
How Do You Cook Turkey in a Rotisserie Oven?
The process is the same for turkey, especially since only smaller birds fit in home rotisserie ovens.
The Best Rotisserie Oven Recipes
After you get a rotisserie oven, check out our Rotisserie Chicken recipe for what will become a dinner-time staple in your home. Meggan says, “the meat just turns out juicier than it does in the oven.”
Meggan also recommends putting your new appliance to work to turn out her Tacos al Pastor. “In Mexico, Tacos al Pastor is cut from a rotisserie spit rod (similar to how gyros are made in the USA),” she explains. Although her Tacos al Pastor recipe is made in a pan, Meggan suggests using your new appliance to prepare the dish more authentically.
Prices and rating stats were accurate at time of publication.
Dina Cheney has authored six cookbooks, including The New Milks, Mug Meals, Meatless All Day, Year-Round Slow Cooker, Williams-Sonoma New Flavors for Salads, and Tasting Club. In addition, she has written hundreds of articles and recipes for publications, including Health, SELF, Good Housekeeping, Men’s Health, Parents, Diabetic Living, Fine Cooking, Weight Watchers, and more. She graduated from Columbia College, Columbia University (Anthropology/English Literature) and The Institute of Culinary Education (Career Culinary Arts Program).
Since when is an air fryer a rotisserie oven??
Hi Jimmy John, multifunction appliances are so helpful. It was bound to happen eventually since air fryers are so popular and give direct dry heat like a rotisserie does. I hope you found this article helpful and that you are able to choose one you love! – Meggan