Putting leftover bananas to work in the most delicious way possible! Banana Cake is delicious on its own, and the Cream Cheese Frosting puts it RIGHT over the top.
I’m a sucker for a good banana dessert.
If a restaurant has a banana option on the dessert menu, done deal. Game over. That’s what I’m getting. (Exception: If the restaurant is Italian, I’m ordering Tiramisu).
And if I have leftover bananas on hand, it’s a done deal. I’m making this Banana Cake with cream cheese frosting.
Whether you have bananas in the freezer waiting for their second act (I have a story about this which I’ll come back to) or you have bananas on the counter that are sliding into darkness, this recipe is your solution.
“My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said ‘No, but I want a regular banana later, so … yeah.’ ” –Mitch Hedberg
Like many food bloggers, I often find myself in a situation where I have more food than mouths to feed. When this happens, I call friends who help alleviate the “burden.” Desserts are especially problematic for me because I REALLY don’t want to eat an entire cake in a day.
And it sounds crazy, and you think I’m exaggerating, but that’s only because you’ve never seen me eat. I can out-eat you. Whoever you are, I am sure that I can eat more than you can. Just ask anyone.
Or better yet, let’s have lunch.
But anyway, back to this cake. I never call anyone for help with this cake. It’s just too good. I can’t share it. Try it: You’ll see why.
Frozen Banana tangent: My sister Monica visited me right after I had my daughter, Charlotte, about a year ago. Along with cleaning my house, doing my laundry, holding my newborn, and playing with my son (I distinctly remember being extra lazy while she was around), she peeled all my browning bananas and put them in freezer bags for me. And labeled them. It was just such a thoughtful gesture.
Many thanks to my Aunt Tammy who generously shared her recipe with me! (I am also eternally in her debt for this delicious Cowboy Caviar recipe. Yes, same Aunt Tammy.)
Save this Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting to your “Desserts” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
FOR THE BANANA CAKE:
- ½ cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas mashed, 3 medium
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch Salt
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- ½ cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 15” x 10” x 1” pan (jelly roll pan) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl by hand, beat butter and sugar and pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, banana, and vanilla and mix well.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to banana mixture and mix until uniformly combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean with a few crumbs attached. Cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare the frosting, combine remaining butter and cream cheese in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment. Or, combine in a large bowl and beat by hand.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat well. Spread evenly over cooled bars.