Need a fast, flavorful dinner? Simple and delicious Baked Cod is a dinner party dream come true, as well as a knockout weeknight supper. The fish cooks in a bright medley of artichokes, olives, and tomatoes until flaky; all you have to do is open a bottle of wine.
Baked Cod ingredients:
How to thaw frozen fish:
The fish should be completely thawed before you bake it. Fish flesh has a delicate cellular structure, so the best way to thaw fish is as slowly as possible.
Place frozen fish on a tray in the refrigerator to thaw overnight or up to 24 hours before you need it. If you’re in a hurry, let the fish thaw under cool running water for about 20 minutes.
How to make Baked Cod:
This has to be one of the most simple cod recipes out there. (The photos take you through the steps, but for specific ingredient amounts, see the recipe card below.)
- First, find a baking dish that can hold all your fish and vegetables. For four servings, a 9-by 13-inch baking dish should do the trick. Then preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Next, gather the olives, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, shallots, garlic, thyme, and wine together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Then, drizzle a little olive oil over everything and gently toss to combine. Pour this mixture into the baking dish.
- To prepare the fish, pat each cod loin dry with a paper towel. Then tuck the fillets into the vegetables, and brush each with a little olive oil. If you like, season the cod with a little salt and pepper.
- That’s it. Bake the cod at 450 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, uncovered. How do you know when cod is done? When the fillets flake easily with the tip of a sharp knife. (If you have a thermometer, the internal temperature of fish should be 145 degrees.)
- Finally, garnish with parsley and pass lemon slices around for for everyone.
How long to bake cod at 350 degrees?
All by itself, a cod filet doesn’t need a lot of heat to bake. A single fillet of cod with lemon and butter needs about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Baked cod at 400 degrees needs a little less time.
Check the internal temperature of the fish with a good thermometer; it should read 145 degrees when ready to eat.
For this specific recipe, the vegetables in baked cod with tomatoes benefit from a high heat roast, to break them down into a sauce—that’s why this recipe calls for a higher oven temperature.
What to serve with cod:
- Mashed potatoes. Yep, believe it or not, this dish tastes fantastic with the Best Mashed Potatoes. Or keep it light with mashed cauliflower.
- Roasted vegetables. While the oven is on, take advantage of roasting up some asparagus, green beans, or broccoli. Put them in before the fish, though—they’ll need extra time to get sweet.
- Rice. Lemon Rice Pilaf or Cauliflower rice.
- Salad. Because you can never have enough salads. Have a look at Fattoush, or whip up a Beet Salad with baby spinach.
Baked Cod Recipe
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts thawed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives halved lengthwise
- 2 shallots minced (see notes)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless cod fillets 1 to 1 ½ inches thick (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- 2 lemons cut into wedges, for serving
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, shallots, wine, 2 teaspoons olive oil, garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss to combine, then spread into a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
- Pat cod dry with paper towels. Nestle fillets into vegetable mixture, brush each fillet with remaining olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the fillets flake easily with a fork or paring knife, about 20 to 25 minutes (the internal temperature should reach 145 degrees). Garnish with parsley if desired and serve with lemon wedges.
- ¼ cup minced onions (white, yellow, or red) may be substituted for the shallots.
- Halibut or haddock may be substituted for the cod.
- To thaw frozen fish quickly, place in a sealed bag under cool running tap water for 30 minutes.