Bacon Wrapped Smokies are salty, sweet, and insanely addictive. The homemade barbecue sauce is just two ingredients and everything is baked to succulent perfection!
I am convinced there is no better appetizer than Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies.
You get salty bacon with sweet barbecue sauce (2-INGREDIENT BARBECUE SAUCE) combined with chewy little sausages. They are so easy to make and always a hit.
You are pretty much guaranteed Party Rockstar Status if you make these.
Barbecue Wrapped Little Smokies actually started out as Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts. However, sometimes people on planet Earth don’t like water chestnuts. A’hem, my husband.
So, I set out to find something else I could wrap in bacon and douse in [SPOILER ALERT] brown sugar and ketchup.
They are darn easy to make, too. The trick is to bake the meat first so you can pour off the grease before brushing on the barbecue sauce.
After you add the sauce, bake them again until everything is sticky, chewy, and positively caramelized.
Then just sit back and watch the little smokies wrapped in bacon disappear.
I’ve also heard of bacon wrapped smokies with brown sugar AND BUTTER, so that’s on my list to try next.
Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 1 (14 ounce) package Little Smokies (about 40 links)
- 1 pound bacon each strip cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Working with one Smokie at a time, wrap in bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining smokies and bacon.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk brown sugar and ketchup together in a small bowl.
- Remove Smokies from oven. Using tongs, transfer each Smokie to a plate or bowl. Drain bacon grease from dish.
- Transfer Smokies back to dish. Brush or pour barbecue sauce over the Smokies. Return to oven and bake until hot and sticky, about 15 minutes longer. Serve warm.