Inspired by the crepes of Paris, Banana Nutella Croissants come together with just 4 ingredients. They are deceptively easy and wildly addictive!
Flakey, buttery pastries filled with luscious Nutella spread and sweet, caramelized banana slices.
Outstanding with a captial “O.” That’s what these croissants are.
If you are generous enough to share them with family and friends, they will be gone in a flash. Even better if you hoard them all for yourself, but they’ll still be gone in a flash!
This recipe is inspired by trips long ago to Paris where I would devour crepes filled with bananas and Nutella.
It really was the absolute best treat, and no matter how much I wanted to try a ham and cheese version (driven by my love of sandwiches), I always ordered the ones stuffed with warm bananas and Nutella.
Thaw the puff pastry according to the package instructions: 40 minutes at room temperature until softened but still cold.
The pastry will crack if it is too stiff but you can easily press your fingers into the seams to fix the cracks. Unfold each sheet onto a lightly floured surface and make your cuts. I like to use a pizza cutter but a knife will work just fine, of course.
Aim for thin slices of banana so they fold nicely within the croissant. If you have huge, thick chunks, they won’t bend.
Thin banana slices also bake nicely in the oven, developing a golden, caramelized taste and texture that is positively mouth-watering. You won’t be able to see them once the Nutella melts, but they are there, ripe with vibrant banana flavor.
Like I said, just try and share!
4-Ingredient Banana Nutella Croissants Recipe
- 1 box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry thawed until softened by still cold
- 3/4 cup Nutella or other hazelnut spread
- 1-2 bananas thinly sliced (36 slices)
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time, unfold it on a lightly floured surface. Following the seams in the puff pastry, cut the sheet into thirds.
- Cut each third into two triangles by cutting between two opposite corners to make six long, skinny triangles. Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry until you have 12 triangles.
- Spread 1 tablespoon Nutella on the widest part of each triangle. Top with 3 banana slices.
- Starting at the wide end of the triangle, roll the pastry up so the tip of the pastry is underneath the croissant. Arrange on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining triangles.
- Brush the tops of the croissants with the egg and water mixture. Place in oven and bake until the croissants are fragrant and golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.