Double Ginger Cookies
When one kind of ginger isn’t enough, add another! These Double Ginger Cookies bake up soft, chewy, and flavorful with no dough to roll out!
This recipe for Double Ginger Cookies is from my friend Anna. As soon as I took a single bite of a cookie, I immediately had to eat 3 more. They were soft, chewy, sweet, and delicious. When I think of Ginger Cookies, I always think of Ginger Snaps. These were just as tasty but lacked the snap which, it turns out, I prefer. I immediately had to get in touch with Anna to get her recipe and find out how she made her cookies so special.
The secret is in the Double Ginger part. Not only does this recipe have ground ginger, it always has crystallized ginger which Anna cleverly chopped up and included in the batter. I’m so glad she did! Mind you, it is important to finely chop the ginger as best you can. Freezing it for 5 minutes or so may help reduce its ability to stick to the blade of your knife. I also found that immediately out of the oven, the crystallized ginger is more noticeable because the texture is chewy against the still-warm, super-soft cookies. As the cookies cool and firm up a bit, the crystallized ginger blends in more naturally.
In the summer months, I like to bake these Double Ginger Cookies first thing in the morning while it’s still cool outside. No sense in heating up the oven at 3:00 in the afternoon with the sun beating down… by that time, you should have your bag of cookies pool-side! Turns out Ginger Cookies are not restricted to the holidays. Who knew?
Save this Double Ginger Cookies to your “Desserts” Pinterest board!
And let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always pinning tasty recipes!
Double Ginger Cookies
Yield: 24 cookies
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 2 ¼ c. flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ c. butter
- 1 c. + 2 T. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 T. crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ c. molasses
- 1 T. water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with 1 c. sugar. Add egg and mix until uniformly combined. Stir in crystallized ginger, molasses, and water.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients in 3 batches, mixing well after each addition.
- Using wet hands, form rounded tablespoon-sized balls of dough. Roll each ball in the remaining 2 T. sugar and lay on ungreased baking sheets about 2” apart. Press down each to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet slightly, about 5 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on my Affiliate and Advertising Policy, please click here.