Imagine a taco salad that is easier to eat and tastes better, too. That’s what you get with Dorito Salad. Spicy ground beef, crunchy vegetables, cheesy Dorito pieces, and a sweet salad dressing – yes! You will wonder how you’ve gone through life without trying it.
I was first introduced to Dorito Salad by my friend Jessica. I hadn’t made it in a while, but for a recent potluck I tried it out again and everyone loved it! Where else can you talk your kids into eating vegetables by pointing out that there are Doritos, too? Taco salads love to dollop salsa and sour cream on top, but this salad is special because you use French salad dressing instead. The sweetness really sets off the heat of the ground beef and the cheesy, salty flavor of the Doritos.
I encourage you to try making your own Homemade Taco Seasoning. It’s nice to be able to name every ingredient in your seasoning blend, and the flavors will be fresh – never stale or overly salty. It’s as easy as shaking some spices together in a jar, and you’ll be able to use it for other recipes such as Beef Taco Stuffed Tomatoes and Slow Cooker Taco Soup, pictured below:
The recipe itself yields a massive amount of Dorito Salad, so it’s ideal for potlucks. It also won’t keep overnight, so eat a lot and encourage your guests to do the same!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 T. homemade or 1 pkg. purchased taco seasoning
- ¼ c. water
- 1 head lettuce (romaine, green leaf, or iceberg)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ bag Nacho Cheese Doritos, crushed
- 1 small bottle French salad dressing
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef; drain well.
- Stir in taco seasoning and water; simmer until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a very large bowl, combine lettuce, tomato, and pepper. Add cheese and beef mixture and stir.
- Right before serving, add Doritos and salad dressing to taste and toss to combine.